Networking is still the #1 way to find a job. If you are new to networking, here are some tips on some networking basics:
1. Get clear: Get clear on what you're looking for. What kind of job or opportunity do you want? Keep it short and sweet so you can communicate it easily.
2. Tell everyone you know that you're looking: This includes family, friends, fellow students-even professors. You never know who might know someone in the field you're interested in.
3. Don't be shy: Ask for the referral. People are usually happy to help and the worst they can say is no. Remember...nothing ventured, nothing gained.
4. Follow up: Follow up with the referral offered and the person who provided it. Send a hand-written thank you note to the person who helped you.
5. And most importantly be yourself!
If you need help with networking, check out our Job Search Program for Professionals: Networking and Online Strategies for the 21st Century